Second Knoll Target Range
Range Safety Rules
- Check in with the Range Safety Officer (RSO) to register before bringing firearms to the shooting line.
- Always obey the Range Safety Officer, they are the sole authority on the shooting range.
- Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
- Always arrive and leave the range firing line with the firearm unloaded and action open, magazine removed, or in a case or holster.
- Eye and Hearing protection are required while shooting or on the firing line.
- Always know your target and what is beyond.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Anyone can call a Cease Fire if they see a safety concern.
- Always keep the actions open and firearm unloaded until ready to shoot.
- When a line break or cease fire is called, immediately unload your firearm, remove the magazine, open the action, lay the firearm on the bench pointing down range, and step back away from the firing line behind the yellow safety line.
- Always stay behind the yellow line until the RSO announces that it is safe to go forward and attend to targets.
- DO NOT stand at the firing line or handle any firearms during a line break or when others are down range. DO NOT pick up brass on the firing line during a break.
- You may pick up brass forward of the red line during a break.
- Be sure your firearm is safe to operate and you know how to use it safely.
- Use only the ammunition designed for your specific firearms.
- Personal protection firearms may only be unholstered or reholstered on the firing line during a firing period.
- You may draw from the holster while standing next to a shooting bench.
- Children under the age of 12 MUST each have an adult assisting them on the firing line. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- All firearms must be aimed—no hip shooting.
- NO 50BMG caliber ammo may be fired on the range.
- No exploding targets are allowed.
- No Armor Piercing Ammunition is allowed.
- No tracer or incendiary ammunition is allowed in a National Forest by law (36CFR 261.5(b)).
- No children under 5 are allowed on the firing line.
- No food or open drinks on the firing line.
- Persons impaired by drugs or alcohol are not allowed on the ranges.